Employers step up efforts to recruit, hire veterans

Getty Images

Veterans Michael Futch, right, and Logan Remillard register for the "Hiring Our Heroes" job fair in Utah last November. Companies say they are are stepping up efforts to hire veterans.

Veterans who are looking for work may have reason to feel more optimistic about their job prospects this Veterans Day: A new survey finds that businesses appear to be making a greater effort to hire them.

The CareerBuilder survey finds that 29 percent of employers are actively recruiting veterans, up 9 percent from a year ago.

In all, 65 percent of the 2,600 employers surveyed on behalf of CareerBuilder said they would be more likely to hire a veteran over another, equally qualified candidate.

The efforts come amid increased attention to the plight of job-seeking veterans. Unemployment has been a particularly big problem for young veterans who are returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to high unemployment and low job prospects.

The unemployment rate for veterans who have served since Sept. 11 was 10 percent in October. That’s far higher than the comparable unemployment rate of 7.5 percent for the entire population. The figures are not adjusted for seasonal variations.

Many young veterans are expected to enter the workforce in coming years, as the U.S. withdraws from wars in the Gulf and potentially looks to shrink its overall presence as well. The job market has been slowly improving, and that could help increase their changes of finding a job.

But experts say the young veterans are facing additional roadblocks as well.

Many don’t have the skills or experience in crafting a resume and interviewing for a job outside the military. They also may not know how to translate their military skills into civilian language that would make them attractive to employers.

Some veterans are also finding that the skills they learned have in the military, such as driving a military truck or serving as a military medic, don’t translate directly into civilian life. That means they have to spend time and money getting the same certifications to do their job outside the military.

Advocates argue that veterans also bring a special set of skills to the workforce, such as loyalty and the ability to perform under pressure. Other perks, such as the good publicity that comes from hiring veterans, probably don’t hurt, either.

Related:

Lulz... gotta love American corporate-feudalist society. "Oh, you killed brown people for profit? you're a great fit for our company! Oh, you massacred women and children too? We've got a c-level position with your name on it!"

Reply#1 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 11:24 AM EST

That's too bad AE - I thought we finally got past all that "baby-killer" stuff from Viet Nam

Saying all soldiers are like that is the same as saying all economists are like Bernie Madoff

Try not to be a bigot - we are all in this together

#1.1 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:07 PM EST

Whatever you ditz. (Econo) Just because you like to partake the the benefits and free speech soldiers provide you does not mean its you get a free card to be a dick. As a vet, if you said that BS to my face, I'ed knock you the @!$%# out. I have lost good friends in the wars, friends who I sat at my wedding and you don't hear those stories. To hear little @!$%#s like yourself belittle the soldiers that do as they are instructed by their governments ((on its citizens behalf (you)) is disgusting.

#1.2 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:28 PM EST

ha! GimDan, you don't protect my freedom of speech... you prevent it. By killing brown people for corporate profits you create "terrorists" separate from the ones the CIA actually armed and trained like Al Qaeda... and then through this manufactured threat the government eliminates liberty to provide "security"... The military has become part of the problem. Sack up and get your boys to go after the war criminals and traitors who run this government (both the elected officials and the corporate thugs who have purchased their votes) and I'll be on your side... but until you're actually on the side of the people instead of the oil companies and military-industrial complex, you're a traitor and don't deserve any respect whatsoever.

PS I have no problem saying that to any vet's face. The smart ones already agree with me.

#1.3 - Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 PM EST

What a douche(AE). I hope you do say that to a vet. That'd be the funniest ass whooping of the century.

#1.4 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 AM EST

AE

You wouldn't survive on our side 5 minutes, someone would frag you the first chance they got.

#1.5 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:59 AM EST

further evidence you're not fighting for the American people, eh, Starbuck...

#1.6 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 AM EST

It is an unfortunate fact, there will always be a unique group of individuals, who will choose to use some of their precious freedoms to harass, belittle, insult and target another special population in this country.

Those who have offered to, or laid down their lives, to protect those very freedoms and liberties all citizens in our nation were guaranteed under the Constitution and Bill of Rights.The veterans and soldiers who have and are serving where needed.Those guardians on the watch towers of Freedom and Liberty.

For that privilege of offering their lives, being wounded and dying, they don't expect a thank you. They did it because they love this country and all the great things it stands for in the world.Because there is some good in this world, worth fighting and dying for.

That is the goodness in the average citizen, trying to create a better life for his family. The student trying to learn how to fulfill a dream to change the world. Young people knowing they can have the opportunities for a better life here. The freedom of countless lives to reach and seize the right of self determination regardless who you are. And the deep compassion shown coming together to help those desperately in need.

Is there another country that gives as much? Without fear of tyranny, enslavement, nightly terror from raids in war torn conflicts nor being thrown into prisons for simply speaking out? So, recognizing there will be those who can't acknowledge the sacrifices,who have their own views how best to use their freedoms and liberties, so be it. That is exactly what I served for, as did others. I am so grateful that particular freedom has not been lost, yet.

As a vet from the Marines, whose spouse served in both the Army and Marines, father Air Force,uncles in Army and Navy careers, etc, I do deeply appreciate the highest price paid at times. I owe so much, I cannot repay. The price of freedom and liberties so many others died to preserve. I have always tried to make the most of them and use them wisely since I was small. Today I will focus on the ones who gave so much. And remember what has been said as well. Soldiers are angels and demons. Angels when you need them most, but devils when you are through and done. Semper Fi.

#1.7 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 PM EST

“All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.” ~George Orwell

So any of you new "Veterans" out there been seeing any of these "Jobs" GE/NBC is bragging about?

Or is this just more "Propaganda & Disinformation" being spread by the Oligarchs, Robber Barons, & Banksters on Wall Street?

“The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.” ~George Orwell

#1.8 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 PM EST

They should have killed anonymous economists so we wouldn't have to hear your BS. If you don't like move abroad, it's a big world. You wouldn't know being that you probably never stepped out of your county but there is room for you out there.

#1.9 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:31 PM EST

lulz @ save the environment. I've been all over the globe. Sadly the same banksters own the other nations as well. You're property of the #Rothschild family.

#1.10 - Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 PM EST

Let us not forget that just as there are many recent veterans out of work there are also thousands of Vietnam era veterans such as myself, who are unemployed. I was laid off three years ago from a well paying graphics arts job. There is a great deal of apparent age discrimination taking place. Hopefully when these employers say that they are looking for veterans they will consider all veterans regardless of age.

Reply#2 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:23 PM EST

From a new vet to an old vet, thanks for you service old timer.

#2.1 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:32 PM EST

It's karma, JohnKaye.

#2.2 - Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 PM EST

That sucks, JohnKaye. Hopefully your luck gets better.

AE - Still a douche.

#2.3 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:13 AM EST

GimDam, your comment made my day! At 63 I don't thing of myself as old yet but I guess it's all relative. I do work for Staples part time as an Easytech. I was talking to a 20 something lady the other day about graphics tablets. As a Photoshop retoucher I have used graphics tablets all day every day for years. Her comment to my manager as she left the store: "That old guy doesn't know what he's talking about!" We had a good laugh over that. I also had a 20 something associate come over from the office supply side of the store with a question- "Have you ever heard of something called carbon paper?" (-: I guess I'm still of some use to remember these"antique" products.

#2.4 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 PM EST

Guys, guys. Sorry to all the Vets for this jerk that names himself Anonymous Economist. As I have seen his likes before. He is only using his pea sized brain if that is what you call it to get his jollies. He is probably sitting at his computer with one hand on the keyboard, and the other stroking his little winkey every time he gets a response from us veterans. He is also trying to get revenge for failing any chance to serve. Poor thing I feel sorry for your useless life, so try to find a meaning that counts besides a big ZERO as an economist.

#2.5 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 PM EST

But, that will mean fewer jobs for Republicans.

Reply#3 - Fri Nov 9, 2012 6:23 PM EST

I am a vet who has been told; you have no hard skills, you have no transferable skills, you don't have a degree, veterans have mental issues, so on and so on...I speak 7 languages, I worked in Special Operations, I led teams doing Anthropology as a GS-13 and GS-15. I couldn't find a real job to save my life. So I am using my post 9-11 GI bill to finish my degree and working at the only job I could find...GNC. I am almost 40 and just starting all over again...thanks America, and you're welcome. Instead of saying thank you to us, how about you hire us!

Reply#5 - Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:10 PM EST

Anthropology? Interesting. Good on ya for getting some school done. I am sure with a degree you'll be more marketable. I hate to say it but vet or not, if you don't have a degree there isn't much out there. I know before I had a degree I had the same problem. I am not a vet though.

#5.1 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 AM EST

I doubt you've worked with a qualified resume professional who would know how to assess your transferable skills and help to market you.

#5.2 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:41 AM EST

This is one of the big problems. Many technical jobs require civilian certification. No matter how much training and exceptional experience you have in these fields you CANNOT find civilian employment without the certifications. You also cannot challenge or test, you must go through and pay for years of school--- that you have already completed and often have vastly more experience with than your teachers!

I believe the military specifically does not issue these certifications in order to retain personnel. When you consider getting out, you realize that you will have to start from scratch as if you just graduated from high school. Your peers are way ahead of you and you are facing poverty living conditions for yourself and your family for years to get caught up, if you ever really can.

A resume professional can't fix that.

#5.3 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 AM EST

Noble, thank you for serving. There are not a lot of jobs for even the well educated. Best of luck to you.

Obama buying votes with public money ! Nothing unusual about that. This is just the beginning. Check it out. Example:

I couldn't find contrary on Snopes or factcheck.*Lockheed is going to lay off 123,000************.******* It's nice that Obama doesn't want to scare the voter before the election.**-** Lockheed Martin is going to lay off 123,000 defense workers due to Obama's downsizing of the military. This hit the Drudge report yesterday. This is true! The law requires Lockheed to give 60-day notice to all to-be-fired employees within 60 days. That drop dead date would be November 1st. Since this would be bad for the election, Obama has promised that our 'government' would cover all Lockheed severance packages to fired employees if Lockheed would not release the names and locations of those losing their jobs until after the election!

This
                will never show up in the news. This posting is from a defense
                contract newspaper called The Hill. Read details at:
                thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/industry/259517-graham-says-hell-block

#5.4 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 AM EST

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever." ~George Orwell, 1984

It is really sad when the only jobs left in America is in the "industry" of killing people. By that matrix and only that matrix we are still "Number One" in the world! In everything else we are second class at best!

Oh well it is what we deserve after being "Terrified" into giving up our Freedoms & Liberty to Wall Street and their "Elected" cronies & thugs after 9/11 for their so called "Safety"!

Don't believe? Watch General Clark (a true American Hero unlike BeTrayUS) & PBS and learn the truth......

If you watch these documentaries and you still do not understand what has been done to US and our children, it is because you "Choose" not too!

"Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." ~ George Orwell, 1984

#5.5 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:10 PM EST

Instead of saying thank you to us, how about you hire us!

It sounds like, to me, your complaint lies with the US Government, not the private sector.

The US Government trained you and then used you, ensuring you weren't adequately prepared for life after the military (specifically to try to keep you under their thumb). I see this a lot, especially from retired Navy folks who worked in the reactors: They're trained enough to work some nuclear jobs but lacking enough education to get out and find meaningful employment within the private sector or even public power companies as nuclear engineers.

Instead of demanding that companies hire you, you should be fighting for change in the military to better prepare veterans for post-service life.

#5.6 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 PM EST

Actually Captiosus..not quite true. The military offers tuition assistance and most servicemebers these days have somne form of the GI Bill...it is still up to the member to get the extra educaiton they might need for post military life. The military isnb't designed ot train soemoine for a civilian postion; they arne't a trade school. The military gives the training needed to work the military operations, such as nuclear reactors and givers training at the correct levels as people get into more advanced positions.

I've heard it many times from potential employers..I have the background, the experience, the certifications, the education. What I don't have is the civilian side of experience even though I could outdistance anyone they may have hired....one company actually turned me down because I had never worked for their competitor.

Now granted, some jobs in the military just don't translate into civilian life and not much anyone cac do there if they choose a particualr job they may live while in the military but has no similar jb in the ciovilian sector or are only tied to federal service either as a GS or as a contract employee working on military related issues, e.g, guided missile launching systems.

The other problem is rank. Officers tend to get hired more easily then enlisted even if the enlisted person has more experience than the officer. Civilian companies think of enlisted as the worker bees that are always told what to do...they see the officers as the management. That happened to me in this last position. I had the qualifications that the retired officer had but the company to whom we were contracting decided they wanted an officer (even though he had only been in for 10 years and got passed over for promotion which is why he got booted), not a lowly retired Master Chief who had in 24 years.

#5.7 - Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 PM EST

It is critical that veterans hire professionals to help them with their resumes and with interviewing skills, but they need to grill these people to make sure they know what they're doing. Too many who claim to be resume experts merely use the templates on their computers (very ineffective!) and they don't know how to assess, translate, and market veterans' skills -- or the skills of anyone else for that matter. Professionals with the right training and experience are worth every penny.

Reply#6 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 AM EST

It is actually very deceptive. Sure, companies may be hiring veterans but there are "conditions". I retired four years ago and have applied to many positions. While I work now, it is a contract job and the contract has ended so I am being gently "pressed"to find another position. Sure, I am a veteran but I am not a veteran coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan. One organization that I wll not name even put it in their job application that a veteran had to be one that hasn't been off duty for more than a year.

I am in the same boat as other vets...Ihave a lot of experience in different areas but Ilackthe "corporate" world experience. I've had my resume re-written twice by places that specialize in translating military experience to civilian but I get the same answer...it is all military experience and nothing in civilian life even though for several positions they could have been using my resume as their perfect candidate choice for writing up the job description.

Education isn't the problem..I have masters degrees in the fields and I have required certifications. It is the experience that is the problem.

Reply#7 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 AM EST

Wages have remained stagnant for the past ten years, while the cost of living has skyrocketed.

Either wages need to come up to meet or exceed the cost of living or the cost of living needs to come down before we can have any real recovery.

If congress remains in gridlock for another four years, I don't see much hope for any real recovery.

If American Consumers don't have disposable income, they won't be able to buy anything besides absolute necessities.

Easy credit is not the answer, it is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Reply#8 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:24 PM EST

I am a vet. I would be reluctant to hire a vet. First, I don't want someone with PTSD. They are likely to miss work and be hypersensitive.

Also the military discourages individual thinking. I want people who are innovative.

Basically, I will hire vets, but not those who retired from the military. They simply cannot think outside the box.

Reply#9 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:00 PM EST

Throwing the BS flag here Joe. You are confusing working as a team mentality with critical thinking abilities. Not one servicemember has a supervisor hanging over their sholder 24/7 giving them step by step directions. A servicemember has the capability of making split second decisions in often dangerous and changing conditions and is well versed in multitasking. Stadard procedures give guidelines in most cases; the servicemember is required to think and react appropriately.

By the time retirement rolls around a servicemember has been not only in the management side of things but has also DONE the job. AS a vet yourself you should know that.

#9.1 - Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:33 PM EST

A local restaurant is having 50% off on a meal for veterans. The requirement for the 50% off is a military ID or being in uniform. I contacted the restaurant owner and pointed out that active duty military have ID and a uniform. Once one is discharged from the military they become a veteran and do not have a military ID unless they retired from the military. They get a dd220 form showing proof of completion of military service. I'm not suggesting denying the special to any military, active or veteran. I would like opinions on who is a veteran. One can be in the military and a veteran of the Afghanistan war. However in my opinion one has to be discharged from the military to actually be a veteran. The two individuals in the photo at the top of this page are clearly still active duty military. Any thoughts when one becomes a veteran?

Reply#10 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 PM EST

I live in a heavily populated military area. I know many service members, veterans and non-veterans alike.

Giving someone an edge because they were a veteran makes no sense and here's why: I know some vets who have been busted down ranks for poor conduct, some who suffer from terrible PTSD, and some who barely graduated high school before joining the military. Why should these individuals be given an edge simply because they are veterans?

The job market is highly competitive for everyone. Hiring should be done by qualifications, not by an external factor like being a veteran. If I lose a job opening to a veteran because the veteran was more qualified for the position, fine. If I lose a job opening to a veteran simply so the company can say they're hiring more veterans, then it's not fine.

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of veterans. Many are great people. But their voluntary service should not somehow entitle them to an easier job market. And please, stow the whole "you didn't serve" retort because I tried; I grew up in a military family and enlisted after a year of college back in 1996 where I made it all the way to Lackland AFB before being forced out due to medical issues that weren't readily caught at MEPS.

Even if I had made it through, served, and been a veteran, I wouldn't want my veteran status to help me get a job. I would feel that would diminish my capabilities, as if the employer saw me as a veteran first and a qualified candidate second.

Reply#11 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 PM EST

Captiosus, while I mostly disagree with you I do appreciate you making your argument without resorting to insults and hyperbole. Your writing is well thought out. I'm sure you'll get some "love it or leave it" responses but not from me. I am a Vietnam era vet who was trained as a combat medic. When I was discharged in 1972 I applied to hospitals for a job. Every one told me that I was better qualified than many of the hospital employees but legally as far as the hospital was concerned I knew nothing! No job with out a certification. It seems that little in the military has changed today.

Now as to your comments. Let's eliminate the extremes, less that honorable discharges, problems with poor conduct and just not being too bright. This leaves thousands of good potential vet employees. While those who did not serve are building networks of people and job experience those in the military put their civilian lives on hold for four more years. Yes, they deserve some help catching up when they get out. Yes, they deserve education benefits to get the certificate to apply the military skills. Yes, they deserve some protection from being discriminated against by employers. If a vet owned business wants to give preference to vets I'm fine with that. If a company hires vets just to boast what good corporate citizens they are not so much. In any case very few companies are going to hire a poorly qualified vet over a highly qualified non-vet. Not good for business! What makes the vet better qualified? Well what skills does the military teach? Self discipline for showing up to work, dependability, the ability to learn new subjects, physically fit, finishing what you start, ability to follow instructions and creative thinking. And if you doubt that last one ask a vet what he did when deployed out in the countryside. Innovation keeps troops alive. The military teaches qualities in years that many civilians never learn in a lifetime.

#11.1 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:13 PM EST

Returning veterans can do more than fire and police. There are many older workers retiring from utilities. They can learn a skill and have good paying jobs for the rest of their lives.

Reply#12 - Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 PM EST

Clearly hiring veterans is an important topic as there thousands per month coming back home. There are a couple areas to consider. 1. the veteran must understand that civilian life is not the same and they must prepare their resume and interview skills for their search. Make their experience as relevant as possible. 2. employers who say they are committed to hiring veterans should take that a step further and learn about veterans as well as educate their human resources or hiring managers on the differences, pros and cons and understand how to read a veteran resume even if its not as pretty as a civilian resume. One company has been taking some revolutionary measures to help veterans find jobs. <a href="">HirePurpose</a> is a job matching site (think e-Harmony) for veterans. It uses a behavioral assessment to measure work behavior, work interests, skills, ect. and matches the veteran to the perfect job. To be matched, the employer is willingly committing to posting on the site knowing they will be finding only top quality veterans. The employer must also complete a short survey on the 'type' of person they are looking for. Lots of potential here so long that veterans take the time to complete their profiles and employers are truly committed.

Reply#13 - Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:59 AM EST