Collin Morgan is the founder of Hip2Save.com.
TODAY.com is entering into a new partnership that’s designed to help our readers save their hard-earned money. We’re teaming up with Hip2Save.com, a coupon blog that runs 25 to 30 deal-focused posts each day.
The partnership will make it easy for TODAY.com and Life Inc. readers to find and access Hip2Save’s deals. We’ll even post some of Hip2Save’s best offers on Life Inc. every week.
Not a couponer yet? No problem! Here are five tips to get you started from Collin Morgan, Hip2Save’s founder and primary blogger.
1. Take baby steps. Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed by this whole couponing thing. Just clip a few coupons, or get a feel for how couponing works at one of your favorite stores. “You don’t have to go out there and save $500 the first time,” Morgan said. “Even if you save a dollar, that’s a dollar back in your pocket.”
2. Don’t be brand loyal. Be open to giving new products a try if you find good coupons for them.
3. Request free samples and product coupons. When a manufacturer has a new product available, freebie opportunities abound. Just call or send an email to the company’s customer service department and ask about samples, coupons and discounts.
4. Score products for free. When you buy a smaller item with a coupon, it can equal bigger savings — and you often can bring that item home without paying a dime. Try using a $1 off coupon on sample or travel sizes of products, for instance.
5. Use cash. You’ll tend to spend less money if you shop with cash only and leave your credit and debit cards at home.
Eager to get started? Start perusing Hip2Save’s money-saving finds here. Here are some more of Morgan’s tips in the video below:
Collin Morgan of Hip2Save.com offers five tips for people new to using coupons.